As the name suggests, long-distance (or interstate) moves are not the same as local or intrastatemoves. To be on the same page, let’s get these terms cleared out:
- Local moving means relocating (relatively) short-distance: within your city and its suburbs or to the closest towns;
- Intrastate moving involves transporting the assets longer distance but still within the same state, e.g. within the State of New York;
- Long-distance, interstate or state-to-statemove implies transporting customer’s items across state borders (within the USA). It can also be called cross-country relocation if the distance is relatively big.
One might imagine long distance moving to be just like the local one: you throw your belongings in the back of a van at your old place and get them out at a new place. The reality tends to be a bit (or a lot) more complicated. Here we have gathered some useful tips to get you prepared for this major change in your life.
Frequently Asked Questions
What should the customer know about your pricing (e.g., discounts, fees)?
We discuss everything PRIOR starting the work. Supplies (if required) are separate. In most of the cases, we don’t charge by hourly rate, instead we provide the total price for the job.
What is your typical process for working with a new customer?
We provide a free consultation and estimates upfront. If customer agrees we send a handymen with required skill set and tools. If can provide all nessesary supplies if customer does not have them.
What education and/or training do you have that relates to your work?
All of my handymen, included myself, have plenty of on-the-field experience and passed required training.
How did you get started doing this type of work?
It’s a family business. I’ve started to go with my father to his gigs from high school.
At my early twenties I’ve opened my own handyman company, which I’m running successfully for over a decade.
What types of customers have you worked with?
Within last 11 years we have worked with all types of customers, but mostly we work with residential and small business customers.
Describe a recent project you are fond of. How long did it take?
During the last winter freezing cold season, an owner of the small kinder-garden called me on New Year Eve around midnight and said that heating system suddenly stopped working… My team disputed the holiday and day-off came to the job site on January, 1st at 10 am and fixed the problem. So, kids were able to stay in a heated rooms the next morning.
What advice would you give a customer looking to hire a provider in your area of work?
Check reviews and pictures from the job.
What questions should customers think through before talking to professionals about their project?
All situations are different, yet generic questions are always the same: “How much?”, “How long?”, “How urgent?/When we can start?”
How HANDYKITH works
My name is Alex. I’m a General Manager of Handykith
My name is Tim. I’m a customer success specialist
My name is Alex, and I’m a professional TV installation and furniture assembly expert.
My name is Mike. I can troubleshoot any electrical related issues.
Clients Love Working With HandyKith
“Very good, professional service and friendly working progress, thanks Tim! He fixed an replaced the burst electricity outlet at my studio in less than one hour!”
“I hired this company for a project. Guys showed up on time, did an amazing job, I would definitely recommend them!”
“Alex assembled a loft bed with desk and 6 drawer dresser for me. He worked nonstop until the entire job was finished.”
“Handy Kith did a very good job. He was timely and worked efficiently. He took care of everything fast. I would use him again.”
“Alex was punctual, pleasant and helpful. He put together my dresser and then he put the tv on it, which he did not have to do. I would use them again.”
“Arrived early! Extremely professional, helpful, friendly and efficient. I would consider for any of my needs or my family. Thank you!”
Whether you’re looking to make a major renovation
to your home or you’ve accumulated a list of small
repair projects, HandyKith can help.
5 Long Distance Move Tips
- Plan your relocation ahead of time and get in-home estimates from several transporting companies: this will let you both compare long distance moving costs and make the first impression of a given long distance moving company.
- Do not choose a very cheap long distance moving company, hire the most trustworthy one: this will help you avoid any additional fees and other unpleasant surprises.
- Update your driving license and other documents, purchase special insurance for long distance trip.
- Consider hiring professional packers (they can bubble wrap and tape up your belongings) as well as professional cleaners.
- Try to relocate during the off-season (that is any season except summer) so that you’d be offered a cheap long distance moving.
It might be tricky to find the best long distance moving company in NYC, but if you’ve discovered this website, you can consider yourself lucky.
Why Choose HandyKith for Long Distance Move
- We are authorized to transport assets from one state to another according to federal regulations.
- We carry a special insurance policy to protect our customers and their belongings.
- We offer all long distance moving services you can think of, including commercial relocation, long distance piano moving and transporting of other non-standard and heavy items.
- Not only can we move your personal items from one place to another, but we can also pack and unpack them.
- We are using the PODS containers for a competitive moving cost long distance.
While there may be more than one moving company long distance in NYC, you should try to distinguish the reputable ones from untrustworthy movers. We have laid out why Handykith would be a sound option for you and now the choice is yours.